Tuesday, March 25, 2014

PRETTY HURTS?

Beyonce said it best, "Perfection is a disease of a nation, pretty hurts." I still remember the first time I heard Pretty Hurts by Beyonce. I was in the car with my best friend Deanna going to St. Louis and it was as if the words jumped into my heart. I knew that I had to share my opinion and story. I love Pretty Hurts because I can relate and because Beyonce is an amazing artist. The song discusses self image and how perfection is an illusion. Pretty Hurts and a recent event at my school entitled Breaking Pretty Barriers, inspired this post. So let's get things started! Here is the video to the audio version of the song. Forget all of your opinions of Beyonce and just read the lyrics.Watch and discuss! Peep my thoughts and story below.


What are your thoughts on Pretty Hurts? Did it make you feel any type of way? Reflect on the lyrics of this song. Have you ever struggled with feeling pretty? Perfection is a disease of a nation, pretty hurts. My idea of pretty has changed over the course of my 21 years on this Earth. The way that I see myself has changed a lot as well. I often struggle with being sure of my own total beauty. I know that I am pretty, but I don't like my physical shape. I never can seem to get it just right or perfect. I am so hard on myself and nit picky. I hate it, but its real. The question is WHY?
Why aren't I satisfied with my shape? Where did I get this idea of perfection from? Probably the same place as YOU. Honestly, sometimes I just want to be sexy, to be a sex symbol, to have a "perfect" video vixen body. My weight has always been an issue for me. I used to be "too skinny" then "too big," and now I'm back to "too big" again. The honest to God truth is that I will not be totally satisfied until I put in the work that it takes to look my best. I am working on losing a few pounds to be my ideal weight. Not because of anyone else or for anyone else, but for me. I want to wear a bikini this summer. I haven't worn a 2-piece in years and I want to change that. I am going to change that. I am committed to being healthy because I want to live a long life.

Pretty doesn't have to hurt. You have to find the root of your issue and pull it up. It hurts and I still struggle, but I am striving for my only pretty. Here are a few practical ways to feel more confident in your skin:

1. Stop following so many models and celebrities on Instagram. Instead follow people who look like you. For instance, if you have short natural hair then follow women with short natural hair. Stop following all of these supermodels with long straight weave and doubting your own worth.

2. Stop hanging around negative people. You will become who you surround yourself with, so enjoy positive company.

3. Research the steps that you need to take to find your own pretty. If there is something that you do not like about yourself, then change it. For example, I do not like my jelly rolls on my back, so I am working out to get rid of them!

4. Love yourself. Once you completely love yourself and accept yourself, others will have no choice but to accept you or leave you. You were created with a unique purpose, don't let that go to waste. Listen to Crooked Smile by J. Cole & TLC.


Pretty does not hurt, but low self-esteem can be painful. We all struggle with it, so let's keep this dialogue open and grow together. God created so many beautiful women and men. We need to learn to embrace our flaws and differences. I can honestly say that I get jealous of other women sometimes and desire what they have, but then God snatches me up and reminds me that He created me to be just who I am, nothing more or less. You are beautiful. If no one ever told you before, you are enough! You are gorgeous inside and out and you deserve to shine!

Much Love,
Jas

No comments

Post a Comment

Theme created by Sweet Lemon Grey