Wednesday, May 28, 2014

5 Things I Learned in College

I just completed my third year of college and it was my toughest year yet. To say the least, I learned work-life balance and how to say no. I am excited and happy to tackle my senior year in the fall, but for now take notes on what I've learned along the way to becoming a college senior at Mizzou!

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
It is important to take care of who and what are important to you. Life isn't always going to be easy or fun, but never lose sight of the bigger picture. You have 4 to 5 years to enjoy college before you start your full-time work load and climb up the corporate ladder. Relax and enjoy the journey. Stop sweating every little thing that goes wrong. Sometimes when you hear "No," it is because God has something greater for you!

2. Let your hair down and go out with your friends!
Make time for a social life. When college ends you want to look back with excitement and have countless memories with your lifelong friends. You do not want to look back and wish you would have met more people or came out of your shell. This one was tough for me to grasp but I am working on it. I try to get out once or twice a month with my girls. Engaging in friendships and healthy relationships makes college so much more enjoyable!

3. There are some classes that you jus won't do well in.
OMG I just finished up Accounting II and it was brutal. I have come to realize that maybe just maybe I am not superwoman when it comes to business courses. I tend to do a whole lot better in classes within my major in comparison to classes outside of my major, like most students. Let me tell you accounting, marketing, and management were not my strong suits but I took a lot away from those courses and I learned to bust my butt when it came to studying so that I could walk away with my head held high knowing that I did my best. That's really all that you can do with tough classes; pay attention, do the work, get a tutor, and do your best!

4.  Networking inside and outside the classroom are essential to success.
It makes sense, right? I mean the more people you meet, the greater your network becomes. One of the ways that I got my job with MU Tiger Trends was through blogging and building up my network on campus. Someone saw my blog and referred me to my now boss. How awesome is that? Everything that you do counts, so make sure you are putting your best foot forward and smiling. You never know what a simple hello cold lead to.

5. Take time to find yourself.
College is full of opportunities, tests, events, breakups, late nights, etc. and things can get really hectic, but you have to take time to find yourself. College is the best time to figure out what you love, what you like to eat, life goals, how to cook, and so much more. In the past 3 years, I have learned so much about myself. Simply taking time away from the noise and listening to my heart have been essential to my growth as a woman and student. Its great to be social and get involved, but make sure you take time out to find yourself and spoil yourself. Life only happens once, so enjoy it!

I hope that these 5 things I learned in college inspired you. College has been such a great experience for me. As a first generation college student, it hasn't always been easy but it has been worth it. 

What have you learned in college? Do you have any tips for incoming freshman? Please leave them below.

Make sure you go and check out what Katie of Little Black Blog learned at Mizzou. She's a proud Mizzou alum and really awesome girl. We attended Go Blog Social together!

Much Love,
Jas

No comments

Post a Comment

Theme created by Sweet Lemon Grey