Friday, August 9, 2013

Personal Stylist and Dream Chaser: Joi White

Last fall, I heard Miss Joi White speak during a textiles forum at my school, the University of Missouri. That day, my life was changed forever. Joi did not just tell us what to do and name off all of her accomplishments like other established professionals have in the past. Joi was humble and enthusiastic as she spoke to current students. She told us tips on how to succeed in the fashion industry. To date, Joi is still my favorite speaker that I have listened to at Mizzou. It was a real pleasure hearing her story and getting to know her in the months after.

Joi White is a fashion stylist and visual merchandiser. She has worked for various top brands and has had a hosts of celebrity clients. Joi is now focusing on styling everyday people. She is an Arkanasa native who resides in New York City. Joi studied fashion merchandising at the University of Missouri. She graduated from the university in May 2005. After graduation from the University of Missouri, Joi took graduate courses at the Fashion Institute of Technology Exhibition and Styling. So go ahead and continue reading to learn more about Miss Joi White!

What was your motivation behind starting your career?
Often I noticed people just didn't care or have the time or funds to care about their apparel and overall style. To be missing such an important characteristic of one's self just seemed like a bummer. So I decided to help where I could and quickly learned people would actually pay for it. After working with everyday shoppers in places like Dillard's and Express, I graduated from college and moved to NY, then pursued celebrities. Although it was lucrative and fun, the nitty gritty of style development was found in the most ordinary people, and I can relate to that ordinary client because I am ordinary. It was more fun and more gratifying to style everyday people. So I stuck to it and "kept moving."

Where do you find inspiration?
Women of all colors, sizes, styles, and mental states inspire me. The characteristics of women keep me motivated, pushing me to do more than what the next woman does. I mean where would this world be without us? It would be nonexistent. My mothers and grandmothers are my mentors. They have inspired my every move.

How would you describe your fashion story?
My fashion story includes a pair of tapered boyfriend jeans, a silk blouse buttoned to the neck, a hot pink pump, an oversized neck piece, and a cross body wallet.

What makes your work or brand different from your peers?
I don't know why I'm different I just know I am. I know God put me here and for some reason, I'm just different. As far as work is concerned, I know having a personal stylist is considered a luxury. I want to take that idea and share it with the everyday people. The people who really work.

What mark do you want to leave on this world?
 I want to inspire people and make them care that much more about themselves. I want to be that woman that people say, "Joi said I should have more confidence in myself.

What career advice do you have for Thee Fashion Stories readers?
Keep it moving. All the time. So many aspects of life come into play and try to ruin our flow. Don't let it stop you. Always keep the drive constant and always keep it moving. Never stop. You will find the answer. Remember, we are dream reachers.

1 comment:

Theme created by Sweet Lemon Grey